So I have been married since like 1786. OK not THAT long! I would be dead and writing to you from beyond the grave. Creepy! I am married to my high school sweetheart. I have really not even dated anyone else. I certainly lucked out and hit the jackpot with Mr. Incredible. While I am living my 2.5 kid life with the dog and the picket fence – not everyone I grew up with went down the same path.
- If you want something amazing to happen – make it happen! When you are single, you don’t have to ask for permission. You don’t have to wait until someone gets home. You just go out and do it. In my own life, I realize of course that I can’t just go out and buy myself a brand new Mercedes and a yacht because I want to – but I do sometimes wait for approval from my husband even when he doesn’t even care.
- Single adults know who they are. When you are in a relationship for as long as I have, or longer, you start to think of the two of you as one person. It is OK to have your own hobbies. In fact – it is encouraged! Spend some time with the girls. Take a class. Don’t lose yourself in your relationship. Send your man out for a guy’s night. Your relationship will be STRONGER because of it.
- I head out to the grocery store in yoga pants, flip flops, a pony tail, and zero makeup. My single friends make sure they are put together and lookin’ cute. My one friend told me you NEVER know when you will find ‘the one’. He may come up to you one day in the produce section and say, “Hey nice melons!” So - always make sure you look cute. HA! KIDDING!!!!! This is one area I think I will continue to very much enjoy. I should really buy some more yoga pants . . .
- If my single friends are craving tacos – guess what they have for dinner? TACOS! When you have a family, many women will put their family’s dinner preferences first. “Man I really want chicken tacos tonight but Johnny will only eat beef and Mary doesn’t like tacos at all. Maybe I could make her something else . . .” Suddenly taco night is now taco, spaghetti and, grilled cheese night. You are now too tired after making 3 meals to even eat your tacos. I now meal plan with my entire family involved. Everyone gets to pick a night to eat their favorite meal – and I only make ONE thing. If you don’t like it – your night is tomorrow.
- My single friends are awesome decision makers. They don’t normally have someone else to bounce their ideas off. They weigh the pros and cons, and go for it. I need to learn to go with my gut because usually – it is right!
- Be patient and wait for the right one - don't settle! Now, of course, I don't mean this in the same respect as my single friends. I have a man and he is the PERFECT one for me. But I can apply this to other areas of my life. For example, I have learned not to take a job just because one thing seems attractive - look at the entire package of what is being offered!
What is something you have learned about life from one of your friends?